Sunday, January 04, 2009

The Drama Show: Why Silicon Valley Won’t Become the New Detroit

"A few months ago, I discussed why I believe VC infatuation with cleantech would hurt Silicon Valley but since United States President-Elect Barack Obama seems committed to the idea of a “Green Revolution”, I figured it was a good time to shift some of my debunking to the nascent “cleantech” industry.
My first substantial post of 2009 kicks off my cleantech/green bullshit column: Green Smoke.
You won’t be surprised to learn that I believe that cleantech is a lot like Web 2.0: there’s far more irrational hype and unbridled naivety than real substance. For those who have some knowledge of the history of energy policy in the world’s most prolific energy consuming nation (the United States), you are probably already familiar with the fact that US politicians have been promising “cleaner” energy (as well as “energy independence”) for decades."

No comments: